Saturday, March 21, 2009

Remember Misaki?

We have my cat Pipsqueaks littermate Misaki, who is a 10 month old blue point siamese for adoption at the Vet Clinic I work at...he's had a lot of issues, he had an intestinal prolapse essentially back in October, got him over that, and we just found out he has Hip Dysplasia (VERY RARE in cats) and Luxating Patellas. So while we were still pursuing finding him a home (I've been trying to talk my hubby into him but sending subliminal messages such as cute pictures...just talking about him etc...but not flat out asking...that doesn't work so well with him, as Misaki is an absolute sweetie). Anyways a few weeks ago this lady saw him on Petfinder and decided she wanted him, so she came in, we had just diagnosed with him hip dysplasia, so I talked to her extensively about it, told her there is a possibility he may need to have FHO (Femoral Head Osteotomy) surgery in the future which the new owner would be responsible for (average price PER LEG is anywhere from $600-$1800.00 depending on the vet), so she has been thinking about it, then Tuesday she came in and decided she wanted him and was going to pick him up Saturday (today).

So 10 min before closing she comes in and tells me that she wants to adopt him and if he ends up needing surgery she's just going to put him to sleep, as she can get another cat for under $100.00 why should she spend THAT ludicrous amount of money on a CAT? WHAT THE HECK! Needless to say I refused to let her take him, and told her that we want a 'forever' home for him. She told me I was being mean, I told her "No, mam, I think you are the one that is being mean, he is a living, breathing creature who deservest o have the BEST home possible, not to be discarded when he might end up costing money". She stormed out at that point. Yes we know it might be difficult, but we have another siamese who was adopted last year who has hip dysplasia as well and the adopters agreed to do the surgery if it comes up that Alex would need it. I was so mad I was shaking. She put on her adoption application "What would you do/spend on this pet if he requires expensive surgery or medical treatment?" she put on there she'd spend whatever it took to make him better. I guess she only meant that until it came down to it. Misaki deserves a better home than that. He is one of the SWEETEST cats we have for adoption, he gives hugs, loves attention, doesn't use his claws, even when he 'hugs' you. He doesn't hiss at anybody and purrs at the drop of a hat. My dear sweet hubby let me bring Misaki home today for the weekend, I'll be taking him back on Tuesday....maybe ;) I know once Rob meets him he'll be hooked.

Here are some more pictures of him:
(He was taking my camera for a walk...LOL he would grab on to the cord then walk away with it)

More taking the camera for a walk:

Here he is giving me a hug

Investigating...the little paper sticking down where you can see a bunch of 'arrows' on it is my mom/dad's Lynx Point Siamese Mix; Cooney's bloodwork from several months ago, where just about everything was super elevated. He's 17 years old and has kidney failure...but is still going strong...believe it or not he is an outdoor cat, and comes in only at night, and in the winter, they have NEVER been able to keep him inside all the time.

No comments: